The Italy 2022 World Cup unit starts here, with Roberto Mancini naming his team for the playoff matches.
Who will make up the Italy squad for the 2022 World Cup if they qualify?
The FIFA World Cup is the most prestigious football competition in the world. The World Cup is played annually, hosting the top 32 national teams in the month-long tournament. The FIFA Council chooses the host country. The complete list of World Cup winners is below.
The winners of Euro 2020 will have to go the playoff route to get to Qatar, with the semi-final match likely on March 24 against North Macedonia against Portugal or Turkey.
But Roberto Mancini’s team has no talent shortage, and he will immediately be considered one of the candidates if he reaches the World Cup in Qatar 2022.
Italy squad for the 2022 World Cup: Final qualifying line-up
- GK: Alessio Cragno (Cagliari)
- GK: Gianluigi Donnarumma, PSG
- GK: Pierluigi Gollini (Tottenham)
- GK: Salvatore Sirigu (Genoa)
- DF: Francesco Acerbi (Lazio)
- DF: Alessandro Bastoni (Inter)
- DF: Cristiano Biraghi (Fiorentina)
- DF: Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus)
- DF: Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus)
- DF: Mattia De Sciglio (Juventus)
- DF: Emerson Palmieri (Lyon)
- DF: Alessandro Florenzi (Milan)
- DF: Luiz Felipe (Lazio)
- DF: Gianluca Mancini (Roma)
- MF: Nicolo Barella (Inter)
- MF: Bryan Cristante (Roma)
- MF: Jorginho (Chelsea)
- MF: Manuel Locatelli (Juventus)
- MF: Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma)
- MF: Matteo Pessina (Atalanta)
- MF: Stefano Sensi (Sampdoria)
- MF: Sandro Tonali (Milan)
- MF: Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain)
- MF: Nicolo Zaniolo (Roma)
- FW: Andrea Belotti (Torino)
- FW: Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo)
- FW: Ciro Immobile (Lazio)
- FW: Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli)
- FW: Joao Pedro (Cagliari)
- FW: Matteo Politano (Napoli)
- FW: Giacomo Raspadori, Sassuolo
- FW: Gianluca Scamacca (Sassuolo)
- FW: Mattia Zaccagni (Lazio)
How many players can Italy host in the 2022 World Cup?
Roberto Mancini has been allowed 26 players for Euro 2020 due to the possibility of a COVID-19 outbreak during the tournament. For the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar – unless otherwise noted – the squad number is expected to be reduced to 23.
However, this could be modified in the coming months. Alternate numbers have been raised during the pandemic as well, allowing five changes to be made in a game instead of the regular three. This season remains in the international competition: the team could rise to 26 again – especially with the World Cup in the middle of the season.
When will the final squad for the 2022 World Cup for Italy be announced?
Preparations for the tournament are expected to begin next summer.
While the next World Cup kick-off is a break from the traditional football calendar, World Cup squads are usually announced about six weeks before the tournament begins.
This may change with club football being played closer to the tournament’s start date.
Barring injuries or bans, there are a few players we anticipate dying in Roberto Mancini’s final squad for the 2022 World Cup in Italy.
Established as Italy’s No. 1 goalkeeper, Gianluigi Donnarumma will be on board to Qatar even if he struggles to get playing time at PSG. Despite their age, outstanding defensive players Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci are also challenging to dismiss.
Marco Verratti and Jorginho will start in midfield if he is fit, although the former has a habit of getting hit by early injuries before significant tournaments. Ciro Immobile is not as prolific for his country as he is at the club level, but he will also be among Mancini’s first picks.
Elsewhere in attack, Lorenzo Insigne and Federico Chiesa will be part of the Italian travel group next November unless something goes wrong.
FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: Former Manchester City player Mario Balotelli has been called to the Italy national team. Mario Balotelli received an exciting call-up to the Italian national team. The Azzurri meet North Macedonia in their World Cup qualifier playoff in March, and later this week, Roberto Mancini will assemble a 35-man squad at a training camp in Coverciano. This is not the final lineup for playoffs but only to train players for the playoffs.